Monday, February 15, 2016

15 Feb 2016

Hi All,

We had miracles this week in finding an apartment for Joren: 

On Wednesday Joren called us and said that she could no longer stay with Lucy and Boniface because their Grandmother was coming to live with them.  Joren told us she went to the shelter and they told her there was no room at the shelter for them.  I had probably called about 40 landlords and they all told me there were no vacancies though a few said they would accept General Assistance people but they had potential vacancies in March, April.  This was indeed a precarious situation.  I emailed the Bishop and he asked that we start searching for a motel. 

However, both Sandy and I had the feeling to call the shelter again.  I talked with a person at the shelter with whom I have a good relationship, having talked to him multiple times.  He told me the shelter was completely booked and unlike last year, they have limited budget and can only put 3 families in a motel and 3 families are already in the motel.  He was interrupted and said he’d call me back.  When he called back I asked for his advice on where I ought to look and what I ought to do.  He hesitated and then said he has a room at the shelter Joren could have if she got there right away.  Needless to say, we got her there. 

When I told the Elders in our district, they said they had been fasting that morning for Joren to find something. 

The shelter is not a good place to stay but at least she has a roof over her head.  There are four families in Joren’s apartment who share stove, refrigerator and bathroom. 

The second miracle occurred on Friday.  We went to one of our member’s apartment—Beatrice—to have an English discussion.  As we were leaving Beatrice said that there was a vacant apartment next door.  I looked in and it was vacant but I had already called the particular landlord.  In fact, I’d called him twice.  Also, the apartment looked like it was being gutted and would take some time to be ready.  The first time I called him he was one of the very few landlords that was hopeful, who said he rents to General Assistance people.  He took my number and told me he would call me when he got a vacancy.  Last week, I called back just to have him keep my name in his mind and left a message.  Anyway, like I said, the vacant apartment looked like it was not ready yet.

However, I had the feeling to call him.  His wife answered and said that the vacant apartment wouldn’t be available until April but there was another apartment available.  I called him and he said there was an apartment available in another complex.  We made an appointment to see him on Monday. 

We went there today and the apartment looks great.  He said we could have it, it’s now a waiting game for all the paperwork to get done.   

Below is a group of our African friends at Church

Below are some pictures from the Family night we had two weeks ago that somehow didn't get included




Joren and the boys with Sandy visiting beaches




1 comment:

Andrea McEntire said...

Sounds like you guys have done good things there. I'm sure you will be missed. We can hardly wait for your arrival!!!!